My father taught to cook three things: meat on the fire, beer fritters and Mozzarella in Carrozza. You could say this is the Italian version of the grilled cheese sandwich; a great recipe to put to work for a kids party or used as an adult appetizer.
Trust me, with the changing of the season you can never have enough comfort food recipes in your arsenal, and this is a real keeper!
Serves: 4 / Prep Time: 5 minutes / Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 3/4 lb mozzarella di bufala cheese, cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 8 slices of soft white bread (not whole grain)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, for dusting
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Lay one-fourth of the mozzarella between 2 slices of bread and close. Repeat with the remaining bread slices.
- In a shallow baking dish, whisk together the eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat about 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Dust one sandwich with the flour, dip it into the egg mixture, then add it to the pan.
- Fry about 3 minutes per side, until golden and crisp on the outside. The mozzarella should be completely melted and be very “stringy” when the sandwich is eaten.
- Remove the sandwich from the pan and repeat with the 3 remaining sandwiches.
- Cut the sandwiches in halves or quarters before serving.