While living and working in the US I had a small hoarding problem...
In the span of two decades of my professional chef's life, I have accumulated an insane amount of blades and working tools; on one side I just adored the collecting process of seeking and adding pieces to my ever growing armory, on the other side I always believed that having the right tool for any task at hand was one of the secrets of the trade. Needless to say, both the process and the thought behind it were flawed.
After all this time I have come to the conclusion that my ability as a chef cannot and should not be measured by the weight of the crap I might carry around to perform a job, but most importantly, and here the opposite is true, I have finally realized that the true ability of any cook is to be able to prepare a meal with whatever tool is available at the moment.
If you were to ask me now, how many knives are needed to prepare a true Super Tuscan meal, I would reassure you that three sharp and well maintained blades are everything you need to throw an unforgettable feast: a nimble pairing knife, a well balanced 8" or 9" chef's knife and either a boning or a bread knife, depending on your style and your most recurring dishes.
I put together this roll as soon as I arrived in Brooklyn a little over a decade ago. A friend of mine sourced a fantastic artisan that designed and built this bag to my specs, using sustainable leather and Japanese denim. I filled it up with my absolute favorite knives (well, except the ones I now produce here in Tuscany), the Wusthof Ikon Series with ebony handles: indeed the most well balanced steels I have ever used in my life, and possibly the most functional and ergonomically fitting grip that my had has ever experienced in the kitchen.
This roll has not been around much. A few festivals in L.A., Miami and N.Y.C, and a bunch of dinners at my lab kitchen in Brooklyn. As a testament to what I have mentioned above, you can notice that only three of these knives do carry the signs of usage... find them, look at the handles :)
I hate to let this go, as I still care very much about this little travel kit.
I love to let go of this roll, as I am sure there is somebody out there that can put it to good use and make it travel again, as it well deserves.
Roll has 10 slots, and I obviously has 11 knives in it (u will find one in the zipped pocket). Do u like short or long pairing knives? Here is a full item list.
- Pairing Knife 3.3"
- Pairing Knife 4.3"
- Satoku Style Pairing Knife 2.9"
- Serrated Breakfast Knife 5.3"
- Boning Knife 5.3"
- Satoku Knife 6.6"
- Chef's Knife 7.8"
- Serrated Bread/Sandwich Knife 7.8"
- Roast Knife 8.6"
- Roast Fork
- Sharpening Iron
While I keep searching my house for cool stuff to unload on you, feel free to email me with any questions!
- SHIPPING. Each purchase will be shipped via DHL. We have arranged fixed prices per each continent for shipping and handling regardless of your zip code.
- UK EXCLUSION. As of Summer 2022 new import regulations forbid, knives, blades and sharp objects to be shipped to the UK. We are very sorry about that!
- CUSTOM TAX DUTIES. Purchases from the EU are subject to taxation when imported into U.S. territory. This charge will occur at time of delivery (or immediately prior) and is not included in the sale price. Taxation is obviously proportional to purchase value, you can use online tools to calculate duty fees online. Several resources are available such as SimplyDuty.